Thursday, December 15, 2011

How to Draw and Paint Santa


After deciding I wanted to draw Santa, but never actually having met him, I chose a photo of him I found on google images. When I measured Santa in order to get my drawing in correct proportion I discovered him to be shorter then the average male height of 7 1/2 to 8 head lengths. I believe Santa measured about 6 head lengths, an interesting fact for an art nerd like myself.
Anyway I decided to reduce my drawing on my copier to fit a 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" Artist Trading Card or ATC. I printed out this reduced size Santa on watercolor paper and then I painted Santa with my Twinkling H20 paints. I give details about the colors I used on the Luminarte blog http://creativeimaginations.typepad.com/luminarte_paints/. They should be posted in a short while. You could paint Santa with any bright red, yellow and green watercolors you have and use your imagination to choose other colors if you want.
I was in a very crafty mood after I finished painting Santa, so I got out my deckle edge craft scissors and cut around Santa and glued him onto some red card stock. I also put some glitter around the edges of his card. If you were feeling really daring you could punch a hole in the top of this card and make it into some sort of hanging decoration to amaze your family and friends or you could flip it over and write to: and from: and turn it into a gift tag. Whatever you do, have fun and have a happy holiday.

No comments: