Friday, September 10, 2010

Get Out of the Studio Today and Get Rejected

Have you ever had your artwork rejected? Has a loved one, a friend or someone you don't even know made some comment about your artwork? If you are making art you are bound to encounter criticism and rejection. The key to not get depressed and wallow in self-pity about your rejection. Instead you need to "step away from the criticism" and see what you can learn from it. Then get up and do some more artwork.
For instance,
I participated in an art show in my new neighborhood a few weekends ago. I sat at a table filled with cards I had made of my artwork and waited for the droves of people to come swoop up my beautiful handmade cards. Finally, I sold 4 cards. I wallowed for a bit, ate a bag of M & M's which I had hidden behind the tall paintings on my table then thought about what I could learn from this experience. I asked myself these questions:
1. Was this the right venue for my artwork?
2. Could I do something to improve the work I was selling?
3. What had I gained from this experience?
I did make some valuable contacts, new friends and possible future customers, plus I realized I might actually need to make my cards fit the envelopes I sell with them. So I was glad I stepped out the door and got rejected.

No comments: