Thursday, February 28, 2008

French Hollyhocks in the Dordogne Valley


This painting inspired me to learn to take better photos. I had permission to use a photo taken by Bill the owner of Le Vieux Couvent where I will be staying in October on my teaching trip to SW France. I take a lot of photos when I travel, then return home and use them as reference in my paintings, but I literally take snapshots. I snap a shot quickly with thinking about the composition I am making in my shutter window. So maybe tomorrow I will trot down to the library and check out some books on how to take better photos......

1 comment:

Deirdra Doan said...

Your work is so WONDERFUL!!!! Just reminds me of my time in Europe. I will have to try my hand at working like you sometime.

I just discovered you at the Art and Soul Portland classes. I am taking a class with Misty Mawn so I missed your class on water color that day.

I am in the middle of illustrating my first author illustrator book for children. I am not even sure what direction to take for the color part of it. Watercolor, oil, collage, or pastel... Going to SCBWI conference in April. Need to get a publisher...whew...

I would love to meet you in Portland and talk! Please check out my blog.
So great to find you!!!