Monday, May 20, 2013

Making Drawing A HABIT

Have you ever read about establishing habits? I read that it takes 21 days of doing something for it to become a habit. I have made a decision to get up earlier then I usually do, get dressed (some of you may know of my situation of getting started in my studio in my pjs and not changing out of them till 4 p.m.) and spend some time doing a drawing from observing something real. Although I draw often, I don't actually practice drawing from observation on a regular basis and I  think drawing from observation is a great way to improve your skill and have fun and stay out of trouble.
This morning I rushed into my studio, dressed and began to look for something to draw. My subject had to be a bit challenging, but not too difficult as I get easily discouraged and engage my inner critic.
I grabbed my favorite plastic cow and began to draw. I ended up finishing the cow drawing, then painting it on 90lb. watercolor paper with watered down acrylic paints. Then I could not resist scanning the cow and making it a "Purple cow".

Have YOU ever seen a purple cow?

1 comment:

Polly Birchall said...

But I see purple cows all the time!! What a good drawing. It is something most of us don't do enough of. Will bear this in mind in the future.