Sunday, June 30, 2013

Watercolor Painting and Tomatoes

     The motto at our house these days is, "If Life Gives You Tomatoes, Make Bruschetta."  We have a garden box in our backyard where we  planted tomatoes.  The Early Girl tomatoes are ready now, and we have been harvesting them.  In my painting these days, I find myself deeply interested in the properties of color. I am especially fixated on warm and cool color and their effect on each other, and am exploring intentionally painting objects with complementary colors. Complementary colors, are directly opposite each other on the color wheel.
     In every class I've taught since my color fixation took hold of me, I been making sure everyone knows that using a color wheel to improve your painting is not difficult to understand. I've been teaching a series of classes this summer at our local libraries. They asked me to develop a painting lesson based on their summer reading program theme, "Reading is Delicious." This week I taught how to paint fruit at the Poway Library. I helped the students paint a variety of fruit including, pears, cherries, tangerines and of course, tomatoes.
Tomato is classified a fruit, you know...

My sample tomato painting using complementary colors



Pictured above: the tomato farmer, the chef and the tomato



Tomato modern art

No comments: