Monday, August 15, 2011

The Ponte Vecchio Gets Finished in San Marcos, CA




I started this painting in my small sketchbook while standing in front of this famous bridge in Florence. Today, I put the finishing touches on it in California in my studio. I didn't want to mess with the painting too much, since I wanted to keep the freshness of the quickie sketch lines I did while leaning on a post looking at the bridge under the noon time Italian sun. I think this bridge makes very compelling subject matter. Before I left for Florence I read the Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone, which is the biography of Michaelangelo. Michaelangelo talked about bathing in the water under this bridge and crossing over it to get to work. If you look very closely at my picture maybe you can see him somewhere......

No comments: