Friday, July 6, 2007

Memories of Rainy Tuscany



When we were in Italy this May, my class and I had to paint indoors for a few afternoons because it was raining. The monastery we stayed in told us we could use the 5th floor classroom. We entered the room through a creaking door, not knowing what we were going to find. We discovered a huge, open space with tables placed in front of the windows. Through the open windows we had a fantastic panoramic view of the Tuscan countryside. I did this painting as a quick demo to show my students how to mix colors to paint our view. I finished painting it later that night after an Italian dinner, when I was too full to sleep. I want to try painting this subject about ten more times (probably, 100 times would be better) until I get it to look the way I want it to. Laura, one of the nice students who went to Tuscany with me asked me to post this painting and I am glad she did, since I am glad to have a reminder of those rainy Tuscan days when it is hot in outside.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I adore this. Now I definitely have to go to Italy with you and try to learn how to paint. Can't wait to show this to mom. Mwah!